Watch out for Rental Scams!!
Unfortunately some of our rental listings are transposed by people trying to scam you out of money. Here are some of the warning signs that it might be a scam.
- If the price is too good to be true
- If the person e-mailing you says they are from another country
- If someone wants you to wire them money or mail a check
- If the person is unwilling to meet you in person
Tips to prevent this from happening
- If it is a business, see what the BBB has to say, stop into their office
- If it is a homeowner that you are working with you can check pubic records to verify they own the property. For Louisville, KY use http://jeffersonpva.ky.gov/property-search/
- Drop by the property, see if there is a sign in the yard and call that number, normally a scammer will not put a sign in the yard.
- When signing a lease always try to sign it face to face with your landlord and request a receipt of payment.
Example of someone who stole our rental listing
Thanks for your email and interest in renting my House..I am the owner of the House you are making inquiry of…Actually I resided in the House with my family,Presently my House is still available for rent, (rental ready includes utilities).More so Now,My family and i are currently in the ( Philippine ) for an international Christian Followers crusade..Please i want you to note that i spent a lot on my property that i want to give to you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this House and want you to treat it as your own, It is not the money that is the main problem but i want you to keep it tidy at all time so that i will be glad to see it in a perfect condition when i come for a check up.I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word.My wife and i bought the House when we got married.When we left the state I had a thought of selling the House so I have to look for an agent, after getting one,we got a deal but later my wife advised against that.I saw senses in her advice and i accepted her advise,So I contacted the agent back and requested for my keys and documents.So we Later decided to have the House rent od have given the same agent this job but the truth of the matter is that the agent would want to handle it professionally and the occupant may not be able to rent for rent.We also woulason along with him upon their renting of my House. because of this reason and more we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.The House is located at:10212 Davinhurst Ct, Louisville, KY 40241
The rent is:$1000
Pets Allowed:All Pets
Availability:Available Now for move in..
1-Person lives in the Philippine (i think)
2-Price is to low
3-E-mail makes no sense
These are all warning signs something is not right
Please e-mail us when you see one of our properties is being scammed